Friday, April 18, 2014

Divine Mercy Novena Begins Today!

Good Friday is the day that Jesus asked Saint Faustina that a 9 day novena to the Divine Mercy be initiatied.  He gave her a different group of souls to pray for each day.  Along with those intentions the Chaplet of Divine Mercy is said as well.  The novena leads up to Divine Mercy Sunday instituted by Pope John Paul II. I am attaching a link to the Divine Mercy Novena and how to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. 

Jesus's Request to Saint Faustina:


"I desire that during these nine days you bring souls to the fount of My Mercy, that they may draw there from strength and refreshment and whatever graces they need in the hardships of life, and especially at the hour of death.
On each day, you will bring to My Heart a different group of souls, and you will immerse them in this ocean of My Mercy, and I will bring all these souls into the house of My Father. You will do this in this life and in the next. I will deny nothing to any soul whom you will bring to the fount of My Mercy. On each day you will beg My Father, on the strength of My bitter Passion, for graces for these souls." (Diary 1209)

The Diary of St. Faustina is such a treasure of beautiful ways Jesus calls us to come to the fountain of His mercy.  I am including a few of my favorite excerpts:  

"In the Old Covenant I sent prophets wielding thunderbolts to My people. Today I am sending you with My mercy to the people of the whole world. I do not want to punish aching mankind, but I desire to heal it, pressing it to My merciful Heart. I use punishment when they themselves force Me to do so; My hand is reluctant to take hold of the sword of justice. Before the Day of Justice I am sending the Day of Mercy." (Diary 1588)

"Let souls who are striving for perfection particularly adore My mercy, because the abundance of graces which I grant them flows from My mercy. I desire that these souls distinguish themselves by boundless trust in My mercy. I myself will attend to the sanctification of such souls. I will provide them with everything they will need to attain sanctity." (Diary 1578)

"Have confidence, My child. Do not lose heart in coming for pardon, for I am always ready to forgive you. As often as you beg for it, you glorify My mercy." (Jesus to souls striving for perfection and holiness -Diary 1488)

"I desire that priests proclaim this great mercy of Mine towards souls of sinners. Let the sinner not be afraid to approach Me. The flames of mercy are burning Me - clamoring to be spent; I want to pour them out upon these souls." (Diary 50)

This one seemed especially fitting for today, being Good Friday:
Jesus tells us:
“there is no way to heaven except the way of the cross. I followed it first. You must learn that it is the shortest way.... I am giving you a share in those sufferings because of My special love for you and in view of the high degree of holiness I am intending for you in Heaven. A suffering soul is closer to My heart.” (Words spoken by Jesus to St. Faustina diary 1487)

Leading up to Divine Mercy Sunday, it is my hope to include more reflections and quotes from the Diary of St. Faustina here on this blog.

Thank you all and may Our Lord cover you with His Divine Mercy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment