Sunday, March 25, 2012

Take, O take me as I am.

"Take, O take me as I am".
Hearing this song sung going up to communion was such a consolation.  Each day brings with it a new chance to decide for God.  However, due to the weakness of my spirit I frequently find myself being less than I could or should be.  I become tired and become impatient with my children.  I  have a tendency to control too many things with my mother.  When I take off the cloak of Jesus and let my flesh act for itself I become disappointed with myself.   As communion approached I came before Jesus asking for His Divine medicine for my weakness and lack of love.  Hearing the song take me as I am seemed so fitting.  The next line of the song follows with “Summon out what I shall be.  Set your seal upon my heart and live in me”.  
As St. Catherine of Siena said, “knowledge of ourselves gives birth to profound humilty”. Apart from Jesus’ strength we would all be lost.  But for His sacrifice we have life.  As I see all the inadequacies I possess as a mother, wife and daughter I call upon Jesus to make up for those deficiencies.  Despite how small and unworthy I feel the one thing I will not do is turn away from the Lord.  He may be disappointed with me but if I convert my heart anew then with His grace I may achieve “what I shall be”.
The Gospel at Mass today also speaks of renouncing oneself and choosing to be the person God would have us be:



Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.If any one serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there shall my servant be also; if any one serves me, the Father will honor him. (John 12: 24-26)


St. Catherine of Sienna said it wonderfully, and Pope John Paul repeated those words in his homily at World Youth Day 2000, "if you are what you should be you will set the whole world on fire". 

This was the only link I could find of the song "Take, O take me as I am".  For those of you not familiar with it. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6cHJolh5wY

No comments:

Post a Comment