Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Introducing our Newsletter: Vineyard

Recently we released the first edition of the Vineyard.  The newsletter is available electronically.  All those interested in receiving a copy please contact us at the following email address and we would be happy to send you a copy: www.contactchildrensrosary@gmail.com  

As today's Gospel reading was part of Scripture that inspired the name of our newsletter, I thought it would be a fitting time to introduce our newsletter on our website.

First grapes grown in our yard after extensive pruning
Why is the Children's Rosary Newsletter called the Vineyard?

This is a reasonable question as the two do not at first glance seem to naturally fit together.  In settling on a name for our newsletter I was reminded of how St. Francis of Assisi came on many of the founding tenants of his order.  A Bible was randomly opened and direction was found straight from Sacred Scripture.  The same approach was taken here.  After praying to the Holy Spirit for direction a Bible was opened at random and the first word which came into view was vineyard.  Further reflection and contemplation brought a wonderful treasure of possible reasons for such a name. 

In the Gospel of John, Our Lord shares:
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples".(John 15:1-8)

There is something beautiful about the phrase, “apart from me you can do nothing”.    A child in so many ways embodies this sentiment as a small child has total dependence on a parent.  Little ones would perish if they were not continually fed and cared for by their parents.  Such is the way our Heavenly Father desires us to abandon ourselves to Him.  Our Lord Jesus invites us, “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest”.(Matthew 11:28) 

It is through the hands of these little children and the Rosary that we may all be led to the warm embrace of Our Lord. For it is said, “whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child will not enter it”(Mark 10:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment