Thursday, June 14, 2012

"I do not want to punish aching mankind, but I desire to heal it, pressing it to My merciful Heart".


“Every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, `You fool!' shall be liable to the hell of fire. So if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.(Matthew 5:22-24)
This was the Gospel from today.  As I sat at my seat at Mass I was humbled by these words.  As I have shared with you in prior posting I am a parent who struggles every day with my children.  I pray and hope that I will grow into a beautiful mother but many days I struggle with love and patience.  Each week I find myself at confession trying, praying to be better than the week before.  Despite my efforts I do find myself before the Lord less than I could be.  It is at these times that my soul finds peace running to the protection of Jesus’ Mercy pouring from His Sacred Heart.  He has told Saint Faustina that sinners have first access to His mercy. Upon reflection I was not surprised that this reading comes before the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  In our weakness this is where we will find strength.  
These beautiful quotes from the Diary of St. Faustina console those of us who want to follow Our Lord but in our weakness stumble frequently. 
Let souls who are striving for perfection particularly adore My mercy, because the abundance of graces which I grant them flows from My mercy. I desire that these souls distinguish themselves by boundless trust in My mercy. I myself will attend to the sanctification of such souls. I will provide them with everything they will need to attain sanctity. (1578)
Have confidence, My child. Do not lose heart in coming for pardon, for I am always ready to forgive you. As often as you beg for it, you glorify My mercy. (Jesus to souls striving for perfection and holiness - 1488)
Today I heard the words: In the Old Covenant I sent prophets wielding thunderbolts to My people. Today I am sending you with My mercy to the people of the whole world. I do not want to punish aching mankind, but I desire to heal it, pressing it to My merciful Heart. I use punishment when they themselves force Me to do so; My hand is reluctant to take hold of the sword of justice. Before the Day of Justice I am sending the Day of Mercy. (1588)
I remember reading the dairy some months ago where St. Faustina describes being at Mass.  Jesus was present on the altar.  At the time of consecration the priest disappeared.  When St. Faustina later asked Jesus where the priest had gone He answered that the priest was in His heart.  I cannot find the exact quote from the diary but recall the portion quite vividly.  It is a wonderful image as we go into the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus which has been named the World Day of Prayer for Priests.  The Children’s Rosary has offered tomorrow’s Mass at St. Thomas Apostle Church for The Holy Father and Priests.

No comments:

Post a Comment