Friday, October 5, 2012

Call Upon the Grace of the Sacrament of Marriage

Almost weekly I find myself before the priest in Confession sharing all my weaknesses as a mother.  Times when I am short tempered or lack the love for them that I know they deserve.  Today I received advice that felt like it was spoken from Jesus himself.  The priest said call upon the grace of the Sacrament you received.  I thought for a moment and wondered if he meant communion.  He then said call upon the grace of the Sacrament of Marriage.  This will help you as a wife and mother.  How wonderful was this advice.  Upon leaving the priest I immediately found a piece of paper and wrote it down.  I did not want to forget this.  Hearing his advice reminded me of a piece of the Diary of St. Faustina where she calls upon the graces she received while making her perpetual vows.  It then became clear to me that we as married people can do the same thing.  

Tonight I opened the Diary of St. Faustina and went in search of that portion where she talks about her perpetual vows years later.  I was not able to find that portion but the parts I did re-read perfectly discussed some of the struggles I was encountering today.  As today is the feast of St. Faustina I felt a wonderful connection to her today and prayed for her intercession.  Her diary is an abyss of spiritual answers and consolations.  Each time one reads it different parts resonate.  

As I was not able to find the portion of the Diary where St. Faustina discusses these graces from her perpetual vows I then turned my attention to the catechism.  I searched the catechism with the words "grace from the sacrament of marriage"  What I found I have included here:

2225 Through the grace of the sacrament of marriage, parents receive the responsibility and privilege of evangelizing their children. Parents should initiate their children at an early age into the mysteries of the faith of which they are the "first heralds" for their children. They should associate them from their tenderest years with the life of the Church. A wholesome family life can foster interior dispositions that are a genuine preparation for a living faith and remain a support for it throughout one's life.


What is especially amazing about this match was that a priest I know had actually sent me this reference in the catechism earlier this week in relation to the children's rosary.  I had read it but focused more on the responsibility of the parent and had missed one of the most important parts of the statement.  I had missed the treasure of assistance available for struggling parents like myself.  This treasure of grace one can call upon years after receiving the sacrament of marriage.  Day after day I am overcome by the richness of our Faith and the wonderful blessings and assistance which are available to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment