Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Virtue of Obedience

The Fourth Joyful Mystery of the Rosary is the Presentation. As we celebrate the Feast of the Presentation today it seemed a wonderful time to reflect on the fruit of this mystery which is obedience.  It is a wonderful thing to contemplate that as we pray the Rosary such holy virtues take deeper root within us.  Often when saying the Rosary with my children when we reached the Fourth Joyful Mystery I am grateful such a grace is given as parenting young children is a true struggle and there are times when all you wish and hope for is that you children will obey you.  It is such times when one begins to understand why Our Lord takes so much delight with an obedient soul as He is truly Our Heavenly Father and like us wants his children to follow His guidance.

This week we celebrate the Feast of St. John Bosco who is known for his work with children.  He spoke often of the importance of obedience.

"There can be no virtue without obedience." -St. John Bosco

"Be obedient and you will become a saint." -St. John Bosco

"Try very hard, young men, to imitate Jesus in His obedience. He should be your only model in this." -St. John Bosco

"Do what I say: obey promptly, cheerfully, fully. Let your superior’s will, his mind, and his sentiments be your own. Let’s be one in heart and mind to love Mary and save souls." -St. John Bosco

In the diary of St. Faustina there are also many references to the importance of obedience:

“By obedience you give great glory to Me and gain merit for yourself”.(28)

When I left the confessional and started to recite my penance, I heard these words. “I have granted the grace you asked for on behalf of that soul, but not because of the mortification you chose for yourself. Rather, it was because of your act of complete obedience to My representative that I granted this grace to that soul for whom you interceded and begged mercy. Know that when you mortify your own self-will, then Mine reigns within you.” (365)

“Yes.. when you are obedient I take away your weakness and replace it with My strength. I am very surprised that souls do not want to make that exchange with Me.” I said to the Lord, “Jesus, enlighten my heart, or else I, too, will not understand much from these words.” (381)

“My daughter, know that you give Me greater glory by a single act of obedience than by long prayers and mortifications.” (894)


933 Then I heard the following words in my soul: “You will receive a greater reward for your obedience and subjection to your confessor than you will for the practices (fasting and mortification) which you will be carrying out. Know this, My daughter, and act accordingly: anything, no matter how small it be, that has the seal of obedience to My representative is pleasing to Me and great in My eyes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment