Sunday, February 9, 2014

St. Apollonia

St. Apollonia is the patron saint of dentists.  This was a piece of information I learned in 2005 when I was traveling with my husband to attend an International Dental conference in Baltimore.  It was then that we visited the National Museum of Dentistry.  Upon entering we came upon a large stained glass window depicting St. Apollonia and under her picture it stated she was the patron saint of dentists and her feast day is February 9th.  This was a surprised to both my husband and I as this is my birthday and I am a dentist.  At that phase of my life, I was just finishing residency training in endodontics and was looking forward to a career practicing dentistry.  As it would turn out my path would not lead far from this beautiful saint as the specialty office I joined was under a general dentist's office named: Apollonia Dental. 

A little over a year later I would find that practicing dentistry was no longer possible through a series of joint dislocations in my hands and a new diagnosis of a genetic condition affecting the joints among other things.  As my professional career as a practicing endodontist came to an early end I found myself often thinking of St. Apollonia.  It seemed a wonderful consolation to me that although I had a short career treating patients maybe my career path had somehow been blessed from the beginning.  Through wonderful blessings from Our Lord and the intercession of St. Apollonia despite the deterioration of my hands I still am able to teach part-time in the Endodontic Division at our State Dental School.  

Not a great deal is known about St. Apollonia but it is believed that she suffered torture which included blows that broke her teeth.  Yet despite such cruel torture St. Apollonia refused to renounce her faith.  She was martyred in 249.  She is also considered the patron saint of dental disease.  Today at the end of our Children's Rosary one of the adult members of our group approached me with a dental question.  He shared with me that he had just suffered a broken tooth.  He was concerned about it and a possible dental infection.  It then came to mind that today was the Feast of St. Apollonia and that maybe St. Apollonia who suffered from many fractured teeth might be of help.  

Tonight as her Feast day comes to a close I would like to pray in a special way to St. Apollonia for our Children's Rosary intention. I invite others to pray to her as well.  This is an old prayer to St. Apollonia for her intercession:


0 Glorious Apollonia, patron saint of dentistry and refuge to all those suffering from diseases of the teeth, I consecrate myself to thee, beseeching thee to number me among thy clients. Assist me by your intercession with God in my daily work and intercede with Him to obtain for me a happy death. Pray that my heart like thine may be inflamed with the love of Jesus and Mary, through Christ our Lord. Amen. 0 My God, bring me safe through temptation and strengthen me as thou didst our own patron Apollonia, through Christ our Lord. Amen.
(Prayer to St. Apollonia, a Catholic prayer card.)

The Children's Rosary intention is included below.  Tonight I will begin a 9 day novena to St. Apollonia all are welcome to join as well.

May the Children’s Rosary, their families, those associated with the Children’s Rosary including our priests, our Bishop, our Holy Father the Pope be the extended hands of Our Blessed Mother and her Son.  May we gather a great many souls especially young people for the Lord.  May we experience renewal of family prayer and spread it across the globe. In a special way we ask Saint Apollonia to choose an individual, family, or priest associated with our Children’s Rosary group to lead in their spiritual journey.  Dear Saint pray for our extended group that we may embody the virtues you exemplified here on earth. Amen.



4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    I loved to see this post - St. Apollonia is the "tooth fairy" in our home (the kids get a holy card, some coins and a note from her with each lost tooth). My 6-year-old has been trying all week to force a loose tooth out to present to her on her feast day. Unfortunately it didn't go as planned but big sister assured him that she probably doesn't work on her feast day anyway. LOL.

    St. Apollonia, Pray for Us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attended at my Dentist Clinic and he told me of this Saint. I would very much like to buy Holy Cards with her prayer on please. Where would I purchase these? And her picture from above on this website.

    Maria Kemp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is an old post but I will write my comment anyway because God has touched and inspired me and I created the most beautiful rendition of St. Apollonia. I don't know why, but I started to create holy prayer cards of great saints. One day I came across Saint Apollonia completely by chance(or not), looking for a completely different saint. Until that time, I never even heard of her. Now I created a beautiful prayer card and a wall picture of her and I think my rendition of her is not only one of my most beautiful saints, but also the most beautiful rendition of her anywhere. Check it out at
      www.etsy.com/shop/TradeCatholicArt?search_query=apollonia

      Delete
  3. I know this is an old post but I will write my comment anyway because God has touched and inspired me and I created the most beautiful rendition of St. Apollonia. I don't know why, but I started to create holy prayer cards of great saints. One day I came across Saint Apollonia completely by chance(or not), looking for a completely different saint. Until that time, I never even heard of her. Now I created a beautiful prayer card and a wall picture of her and I think my rendition of her is not only one of my most beautiful saints, but also the most beautiful rendition of her anywhere. Check it out at
    www.etsy.com/shop/TradeCatholicArt?search_query=apollonia

    ReplyDelete