Sunday, October 14, 2018

Colors of the Season

Today on the walk home from our Children's Rosary at St. Thomas the Apostle a leaf happened to catch my eye on the ground. I stopped and picked it up. Then I noticed more leaves... all a bit different. The kids were carrying the pillows and all the items we had needed for the Children's Rosary. My hands were free and despite my joint disability which limits what I can lift to the lightest of items, I was able to amass a little bouquet of leaves. It was fun searching out the most colorful or unusual leaves. They were all special but together they were breathtaking. One seemed to set off another. When many bright colors had been gathered I could see we needed a simple green leaf to provide contrast. Interestingly, my attention changed after gathering leaves for a while. At first, I was drawn to the big leaves with bright colors. But as I was nearing home, I began to look for the little ones. As I looked at the leaves, I began to think of how Our Lord might view us. He made us each different. The love we offer is a unique love. If He does not have our particular love then no one can replace it. We may be a tiny quiet little soul or one that seems to get more attention from the world. But the vista would not be so remarkable if all the leaves were bright red and big. The little yellow one is needed. 

Just so, the little yellow one seem even more brilliant next to the plain green leaf. Imagine being a green leaf when those around you are red, orange and yellow. Might that leaf mistakenly feel bland and yet it is so important to the beauty that is beheld. Late fall when most of the leaves have changed colors one of the things missing are those brilliant green leaves.

Our colors are special and God would not have us all be the same. An idea that St. Therese so beautifully illustrated though a field of flowers. But the fall leaves are just another example of unique beauty God has created. 
As I gathered more leaves on the walk home, some I noticed just on their tips were brown and some had spots of disease. I discarded those at first and then I began to think more of all these leaves. I could see others that had been perfect were now dry and shriveling. 

The fall foliage has a peak. It may last a week in the fall. People come from distances to see it. One can think of each of us. Our time is short. We feel it is long but in the backdrop of history we see if it but a brief time. We are here for a reason. We want to be vibrant and without blemish. When God looks out will we add our tiny color to the landscape that brings Him joy. We do not want the world to leave a residue on us through our attachments that dulls our colors. Our time is short. 

Many joined us on a fast which ended last Sunday. One of the things we hoped and prayed for was to purify ourselves from the attachments of the world. In looking at the leaves, I could see some leaves with spots on them...a type of blight. How do we want our leaves to look? Our perfect size and color was chosen by God. But we have control through our choices to compromise that exquisite beauty we were intended to have or keep it. If we have allowed the world to darken the tips of our leaves or worse yet almost cover us entirely we have the ability to remove these blemishes. We have the incredible gift of Confession. We have the gift of fasting to help us break those difficult attachments to the world. We can in simplicity ask God to help us with those things we can't seem to do ourselves. For those of you living in climates that have a fall season, one thing is always clearly illustrated. It goes fast. Many say it is their favorite time of year. They wait all year to see those colors. Let us not waste time. We are not in winter yet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment