Monday, May 14, 2012

I Chose You


The gospel from Sunday was also the Gospel read today at Mass.  It has a wonderful line in it, “You did not choose me, but I chose you”.(John 15:16)  To be chosen by God is to be loved.  “Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”(John 15:13)

Who are Jesus’ Friends.  He tells us this too in the Gospel, “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends.”(John 15:15)
The Mass on Sunday was directly after the children’s rosary.  It was offered by the children’s rosary for renewal of family prayer.  It was also a First Communion Mass for 17 young children.  Our Pastor, Fr. Moran, came down off the alter for the homily.  He asked the children how much Jesus loved them.  He held his hands almost touching. They replied, more.  He opened his arms more and asked, this much?  They replied, more.  He finally held his arms high and outstretched and asked the question one more time.  They all said yes that much.  His arms were exactly in the position of Christ’s arms outstretched on the cross which hung behind him.  “Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”(John 15:13)  Fr. Moran then walked around very slowly and said to each child, Jesus is your best friend.  The words when spoken brought an ache to my heart.  He said them again.  Jesus is your best friend.  The pain became more intense.  And so it would continue until he had told each child.  The priest’s words though loud were tender and the love of Christ hurdled them into my heart.  With that much love pouring into my heart somewhere inside said, what then would I do for such a friend.  Would I continue to work for the children’s rosary even though sometimes I feel self-couscous about exposing my faith to the world and appearing different from those around me.  Would I even risk my own safety for the Lord as He had done for me.  How beautiful are the saints who were able to lay their life down for Jesus.  How sweet must that reunion be in heaven when they can look at Christ and say that they loved enough to give their own life for His.
As preparation for Holy Communion continued Fr. Moran told everyone that he was going to take his time with each child receiving Holy Communion.  As each child came up they were surrounded by their family.  St. Augustine has likened the Easter season to a time when we can most closely experience Heaven here on earth.  This is what it felt like to watch the families moving forward to the alter and know that Jesus present in the Holy Eucharist was entering a soul for the first time.  Tears of joy rolled down my face.  I felt almost transfixed in reverential awe.  I was aware that I was being given a gift.  

Our Lady is always pointing toward her Son.  Through prayer and the Holy Rosary Our Lady introduces us to her Son present in the Holy Eucharist.  After communion one of the male cantors sang Ave Maria and the tears of joy returned.  A deep love for Our Lady welled up in my heart. Our Blessed Mother in her humility does not call us to the Holy Rosary for glory for herself.  Rather the time spent in prayer allows her to help us to know her Son and become more sensitive to the sweetness of life, light and joy!




No comments:

Post a Comment