Monday, May 7, 2012

I am the vine you are the branches

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit;apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory,that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples".(John 15:1-8)
Hearing this beautiful Gospel Sunday my thoughts went to the grape vines my husband and I planted 3 years ago.  We had also planted several apple trees too.  As my experience in gardening centers mostly around perennial flowers and vegetables I was completely green to caring for fruit trees and grapes.  My natural inclination was not to prune anything. I wanted things to get big fast.  I also was concerned about hurting the young trees.  Since my pruning knowledge was poor I thought it best to leave the trees alone.  Less I thought is more when it comes to pruning.  However after several years of the grape vines growing out of control and no grapes I began to do some reading.  What I found was that not pruning grape vines is a serious problem.  It not only prevents fruit production but I read might even kill the vine.  Wow, this was news to me that without pruning a vine can grow so much that it kills the plant completely.  Investigation on apple trees also supported the need for yearly pruning.  Without which branches cross each other and crowd out light.  A single tall trunk may grow up with little extension to the sides without pruning from the top.  All in all the need and usefulness of pruning got my husband and I out in late February for our first experience of cutting our trees and vines.  
This afternoon the children were helping me after school in the yard.  I began to look at the grapes and fruit trees.  They looked wonderful and lush. There were many blossoms and small fruit.   All the things Jesus had spoken of were present right in front of me.  His words were truth both literally when it comes to growing grape vines,  and figuratively when it comes to our spiritual welfare. He is the vine and we are the branches. To be in Him and produce abundant fruit we must do God’s Will.  Jesus says “I came down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him that sent me” (John 6:38).  Let us not only conform to the Will of God (join our will with His), let us strive further to uniformity (which means that we make one will that of God's will and ours).  This is the pinnacle of perfection and should be the goal of our prayers and desires. May the saints and our Blessed Mother intercede for us that we may attain a unity of wills such as Mary did during her life here on earth. Amen

1 comment:

  1. "I am the vine you are the branches" also explains the communion of saints, and how Catholics pray for the intercession of the saints. Since we are the branches connected to the Vine, we are also connected to each other. It's in the Bible, and taught by our Lord Himself--The Vine who connects us!!!

    ReplyDelete