Saturday, September 22, 2012

Led by the Hands of a Child


This week Fr. Tucker was gracious enough to offer to come to our Parish in Connecticut  from New York to give a prayer workshop.  Fr. Tucker visited our Parish this summer on a mission weekend and we stayed in-touch.  Fr. Tucker held his workshops in parishioners homes.  One of the members of our children’s rosary and our adult daily rosary, Sean had commented on a number occasions how much he enjoyed Fr. Tucker’s Masses when he visited our Church this summer.  When I told him about the workshops he seemed very interested but said he doubted he could come because he would be away.  When he returned from his trip well in advance of the workshops I again invited him.  This time he said he was hesitant because he worried he would be the only man there. I tried to reassure him that there would be many men there.  Something didn’t make sense.  Sean would go on and on about Fr. Tucker and how special he was but he did not seem to want to come to the workshop.  Normally if someone doesn’t seem interested I don’t persist in inviting them.  But with Sean it was different.  Last week during our daily rosary after Mass an idea entered into my mind.  Sean didn’t want to come to the workshop at my house because he is blind and he has never been to my house.  He was afraid to go to a new place alone.  At the end of the rosary I said to Sean I know why you don’t want to go to the workshop you are scared.  He said yes you are right.  I reminded Sean of my disability with my hands and how I always need someone to help me with everything.  Sean smiled and said he would come to the workshop.  However,  several more times as the week progressed Sean seemed to lose courage and would waiver as to whether he would be there.  The day of the workshop after Mass I told Sean do not worry I am going to have my eight year old son by your side to help you.  That seemed to seal the deal.  At 6:30 Sean arrived on time.  His daughter was dropping him off.  My son Kostin ran right to Sean’s side.  He took Sean’s hand and put it in his.  It was a beautiful sight to see Sean who stands quite tall led by tiny Kostin. As Kostin slowly and carefully led Sean safely across the lawn and up the front walk, Sean was smiling ear to ear.  He held tight to Kostin as they made their way up the steps and into the house.  

As a person with a disability that has left my hands weak due to a genetic problem with my joints I have to constantly rely on people for help.  There are certain things I feel embarrassed asking for help.  Yet with children there is a comfort among them.  The difference I realized is that children don’t judge you.  They love being helpful and useful.  They don’t wonder why you are asking them for help instead they are thrilled to be included.

Thinking of Sean and how a little child had broken down the barrier that stood between him and meeting Jesus in a deeper way that night.  I realized why Jesus calls us to be like children.

"Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 8:3-4).

Thinking about this more I now realize why Our Lady and her Son formed the Children’s Rosary.  The children will come forward to help where they are needed.  They won’t ask why but instead joyfully bring families back to prayer.  Through the prayers of small children many others will follow.  Those who were reluctant to join a prayer group will find comfort and acceptance among children.  When children come together to pray they will not wonder why you came to join them only that they are thrilled that you are there.  

Our Lady and her Son have gone to our Children to lead us back to prayer and to the Heart of Jesus.

There is a feeling that comes...Our Lady has not meant the blessings of the Children's Rosary to remain in one Parish.  She means them to exist in many Parishes across the Globe.  It is my prayer this night that those reading this will feel inspired to begin a children's rosary where they live.

In the coming days and weeks there will be more postings outlining how one begins a children's rosary in their Parish.

If you have any interest in starting a Children's Rosary in your Parish please contact blythe.kaufman@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment