Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Betrayal and Denial


Betrayal and Denial
The sufferings of Jesus during his passion are many.  I would like to take the remainder of the week reflecting and praying about each precious experience Jesus felt.   One of the first blows he receives is a deep one.  It is the betrayal of a friend.  
Todays Gospel of the last supper speaks of betrayal and denial:
When Jesus had thus spoken, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, "Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me."(John 13:21)  
"What you are going to do, do quickly."(John 13:27)

There is pain in these words.  John reports Jesus was troubled in spirit.  Then as the night progresses Jesus asks for the betrayal to come quickly.  Waiting for a friend to hand you over to be tortured and killed is too much.  The more pure a soul is the more sensitive it is to cruelty of others as this type of behavior is not found in itself. St. Faustina like Jesus found betrayal of a friend one of the hardest types of suffering to bear.
0 my Jesus, when someone is unkind and unpleasant toward us, it is difficult enough to bear this kind of suffering. But this is very little in comparison to a suffering which I cannot bear; namely, that which I experience when someone exhibits kindness towards me and then lays snares at my feet at every step I take. What great will power is necessary to love such a soul for God's sake.  (Diary1241)
The night would not end with the lone betrayal by Judas.  Jesus must endure further suffering as he accepts that his successor here on earth will also deny him.
Peter said to him, "Lord, why cannot I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you."Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the cock will not crow, till you have denied me three times.(John 13: 37-38)
Jesus you are purity and goodness personified.  Heal our hearts of bitterness and hurtful ways.  Let us never find ourselves hurting those closest to us.  Let us never deny you or betray you.  Let us be like your dear Mother who never abandoned you.  Let us wipe your tears this week and console your wounded heart with our love and faithfulness. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment