Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Little Furnaces of Love

May we be like my cat, Baby,
warm and content by the heat
Today most of the United States is under a deep freeze. Reports of Atlanta, Georgia being colder than Moscow today.  Areas of the country dipping into the minus 40 degrees F range.  For our little area in Connecticut we are hovering in the single digits but will probably be well below zero with the wind chill factor.  A day of heavy rain yesterday brought large puddles that now are like mini ice rinks.  A light snow last night covers everything. My way home from work which involved a city bus ride and some walking was a bitter one and I was thankful to reach the house which was warm inside.  After such an arctic adventure home, I grabbed my Rosaries and headed to the basement where we have a pellet stove.  The flame is visible and seated squarely in front of it I could feel the wonderful warmth and watch the flames flickering.  My old cat, Baby, couldn't resist and came to sit in my lap.  Such is how I spent the last bit of the afternoon into the evening.  The kids came down also interested in saying prayers near the fire.  For in such times like this it is hard to stay far from the fire.  There is a homing beacon if you will, drawing you to the warmth.  Sitting looking at the stove I was reminded of a little prayer I like to say walking to Church.  Often as the wind blows in the winter, I offer up all the times of being cold, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, to be unified to the times Jesus was cold during the Passion.  We know it was cold that last night as we are told Peter came to the fire to warm himself.  I ask the Lord for the times I am cold let my heart and all the members of the Children's Rosary be consumed by the love of Jesus, may we be like little furnaces giving off love in this world.

Tonight sitting in front of the fire looking at the little stove all warm. I was reminded of that prayer.  For it is a wonderful way to view these little Children's Rosary groups as furnaces of love.  Those of us cold are drawn to be near them.  We find rest and comfort in the radiance of their heat.

Please consider joining the Children's Rosary which will meet Wednesday Jan 8th at 4PM Pacific time at St. Patrick's Church in Angels Camp, California.  The children always pray for those unifying prayers with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment