Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Will of God


"I can do nothing on my own authority; as I hear, I judge; and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me”.(John 5:30)
In the gospel from daily Mass today, Jesus brings criticism upon himself by proclaiming God as his Father. In his attempts to explain the relationship of Father and Son, Jesus also enlightens us as to our relationship with God. "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever he does, that the Son does likewise.(John 5:19)  
If ever we feel we are drowning in confusion and struggling to discern what we are to do, we have only to pray for unification of our Will with the Lords. If we are able to achieve this unification then we will be living all the virtues perfectly as Our Blessed Mother did. 
Today many young people speak of a time of wandering and searching for direction.  If we reflect on the gospel we see Jesus was also searching.  What was he seeking.  His eyes were not down but up.  He was not searching for satisfaction through his Own Will but "the will of him who sent me". 

As I  feel extremely inadequate to speak further on the subject of attaining full union with the Will of God may I allow the Saints to speak.  

If, devout soul, it is your will to please God and live a life of serenity in this world, unite yourself always and in all things to the divine will. Reflect that all the sins of your past wicked life happened because you wandered from the path of God’s will”.(St. Alphonsus de Ligouri)
St Faustina in her diary distills down the path to sanctity:
"Neither graces, nor revelations, nor raptures, nor gifts granted to a soul make it perfect, but rather the intimate union of the soul with God. These gifts are merely ornaments of the soul, but constitute neither its essence nor its perfection. My sanctity and perfection consist in the close union of my will with the will of God" (Diary 1107).

St. Faustina also tells us how best to show our Love for God:
"True love of God consists in carrying out God's will". (Diary 279)

"A man makes the most progress and merits the most grace precisely in those matters wherein he gains the greatest victories over self and most mortifies his will". (St. Francis de Sales)


Dear Jesus please look tenderly upon the members of the children’s rosary and Our Holy Father the Pope.  May we be your instruments, your hands in this world.  May we do this with joy and peace of heart. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment