Thursday, February 28, 2013

Novena to the Holy Spirit for the Conclave of Cardinals


Pope Benedict  XVI (Photo:CNS)
Today Pope Benedict stepped down as Supreme Spiritual Head of the Catholic Church and made a surprise statement to his fellow Cardinals:

“I will continue to be close to you the next few days in prayer that you may be full of the Holy Spirit in the election of the new Pope.  May the Lord show you what He wants from you.  Among you is the next Pope.”

Hearing these words of Pope Benedict XVI there was a feeling that we should join with him in prayer for the same intention.  Could there be a better phrasing of a prayer for the Cardinals then the one Our Holy Father spoke from the depths of his heart.  May I humbly ask you to join together beginning tomorrow (March 1st 2013) a 9 day novena of prayer to the Holy Spirit for the intention given to us by our dear Pope Benedict XVI.  We have been given a precious gift and privilege to know the prayers of the Holy Father for his successor may we not lose this opportunity to be one with him in prayer for a most Divinely inspired Conclave.  Thank you all and may the Lord bless you for your love and prayers for the future of Our Holy Church.  Amen.

(photo courtesy of Catholic News Service)
Novena to the Holy Spirit
Dearest Holy Spirit, confiding in Your deep, personal love for me, I am making this novena for the following request, if it be Your Holy Will to grant it: that the Cardinals may be full of the Holy Spirit in the election of the new Pope.  May the Lord show them what He wants from them.(mention your additional requests). 

Teach me, Divine Spirit, to know and seek my last end; grant me the holy fear of God; grant me true contrition and patience. Do not let me fall into sin. Give me an increase of faith, hope and charity, and bring forth in my soul all the virtues proper to my state in life.
Make me a faithful disciple of Jesus and an obedient child of the Church. Give me efficacious grace sufficient to keep the Commandments and to receive the Sacraments worthily. 

Give me the four Cardinal Virtues, Your Seven Gifts, Your Twelve Fruits. 
Raise me to perfection in the state of life to which You have called me and lead me through a happy death to everlasting life.
I ask this through Christ our Lord, Amen. 
(novena to the Holy Spirit obtained from EWTN website)

No comments:

Post a Comment