Wednesday, November 21, 2012

We Get By With A Little Help From Our Friends

Things with my health haven't been all that good as of late.  As I have a genetic condition that results in joint dislocations leaving my house and interacting with folks is as one person put it, "living dangerously".  Sometimes injuries happen in the places you would never suspect such as last night at a healing service.  For someone like me the prospect of folks I don't know touching me is of significant concern with my joint instability.  However,  I recognize the wonderful benefits of healing prayers and love to attend this Monthly Mass.   After a couple of accidental injuries with my hands and neck last night I left trying to focus on the beautiful Mass and not my aching joints.  A friend stopped and talked to me as we were leaving. He had just come back from leading a pilgrimage to the Holy Land the day before.  He was clearly tired from the travel and jet lag.  I mentioned my declining hands and joints and the loss of my medical provider.  He prayed over me for a few minutes and then told me he would keep me in his prayers.  A poor night sleep followed but something wonderful happened.  When I woke up I went to the computer and there was a message from my friend Scott who I had seen the night before.  He told me that after he left the Mass he went to adoration for one hour and prayed for me and then planned to offer his bread and water fast for me today.  As I knew how tired Scott was when he left the Mass at 9:15PM I knew how hard it must have been for him to stay awake at adoration.  The kindness and sacrifice that he made out of charity humbled me.  Walking to Mass this morning I looked down at my pieta prayer book.  On the back cover I had written something a priest had said 3 weeks ago, "We get by with a little help from our friends".  How true were these words.  When one is feeling really low the simplest act of kindness or offer of prayers has the ability to lighten the weight of whatever we are carrying.  Each time someone has written to me these past few days and offered prayers there is a such a deep gratitude which wells in my heart.  As our lives ebb and flow I think we all find ourselves one day in need of a prayer or word of support.  When those prayers come, oh how beautiful they are..

It is true, we do get by with the help of our friends and after all our best Friend is Jesus.  Today I spoke to Our Lord in just that way.  As my Best Friend, I asked for His support through this time of uncertainty.  One beautiful blessing He has given me this day is a keener awarenss of the gifts I am being given through the love, support and prayers of so many.

May I thank you with all my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment