Monday, July 30, 2012

ANIMA CHRISTI: Favorite Prayer of St. Ignatius Loyola


ANIMA CHRISTI
Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ Inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
In the hour of my death, call me.
And bid me come to Thee.
That with Thy saints I may praise Thee,
Forever and ever. Amen.

(Indulgenced by Blessed Pope Pius IX, Jan. 9, 1954)

This prayer dates from around the 14th century.  As tomorrow (July 31st) is the Feast of Ignatius of Loyola and this is one of his favorite prayers  I thought it would be a good day to post the Anima Christi.  It also happens to be one of my favorite prayers, too.
St. Ignatius of Loyola was the youngest of 13 children and born in Spain.  After being wounded as a soldier in the Spanish army he experienced a deep conversion.  He experienced a vision of the Virgin Mary and infant Jesus at the shrine of Our Lady of Monserrat in 1522.  He spent the next two years in Manresa where he would spend up to 7 hours in prayer.  It was during this time that he began working on his great book Spiritual Exercises. St. Ignatius took a vow of poverty, chastity and obedience and went on to found the order of Jesuits.  

Favorite Quote:
"If God causes you to suffer much, it is a sign that He has great designs for you, and that He certainly intends to make you a saint. And if you wish to become a great saint, entreat Him yourself to give you much opportunity for suffering; for there is no wood better to kindle the fire of holy love than the wood of the cross, which Christ used for His own great sacrifice of boundless charity." (St. Ignatius of Loyola)

No comments:

Post a Comment